Ivan Strenski and theories of myth
Couple of weeks ago I accidentally ran into one book in the Bill Bryson library. I was looking for some anthropological books about myth and religion when I spotted a spine with the title saying: Four Theories of Myth in the Twentieth-Century History . I do not usually borrow books at random from a library, but I made an exception for this one, because after I skimmed through it, I decided that it was worth reading. The book was written by an American scholar Ivan Strenski and published in 1987. I have never heard of Mr. Strenski before, however, his book turned out to be a really good one. The book is about four major thinkers on the field of myth in the twentieth century: Neo-Kantian philosopher Ernst Cassirer, historian of religion Mircea Eliade, and two famous anthropologists - Bronislaw Malinowski and Claude Lévi-Strauss. Ivan Strenski gives his readers some basic ideas about all four theories, and he also places them in their historical context. For example, Strenski t...
Comments
Post a Comment